PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineer Officer
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 01:43
Aussie_Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie Aviator

Originally Posted by dhurst
Cheers for the advice guys, some people would take some of your comments as an insult.
Be assured, the comments I wrote were not intended either as an insult or, an attack on your otherwise good character. The comments were made in the spirit of constructive criticism and as a learning guide.

But I am at a learning stage so I read all your comments with an open mind.
That's a much better attitude and you will do well in life if you always keep an open mind. But please remember - we will always be at a 'learning stage' - never stop learning!

As for my poor grammer I do apologize its just laziness and I will improve it.
Start now! (eg. 'grammer' [grammar], 'its' [it's or, it is], 'apologize' [apologise]).

We all make mistakes and I am personally not foreign to introducing the odd typo error or spelling mistake in my submissions. This is especially so on internet forum sites. However, if you are considering a career in the military - I would suggest you brush up on your general English skills (oral & written), as this forms a significant component of your working day.
Be mindful that as a junior officer, some of your written submissions may be read by very senior officers and/or members' of Parliament!

As for the 'laziness' aspect - if you are fortunate enough to be successful with entry to the RAF - the staff at Officers' Training School will not tolerate any form of laziness what so ever. But even so, you should be making every effort to show case your ability and obvious intelligence to the wider community - and, this extends to internet chat sites.

It all comes down to paying attention to detail and being mindful of who the 'audience' is that you are directing your comments.

Grammar and spelling may seem to some people to be a minor issue, but, bare in mind that many people will judge much about you, simply by your written presentations.

Also be mindful of the fact, that some of your 'audience' on this website are serving members' and you may well end up serving with, or under some of these people.

I know its no comparison to an Engineer Officer but I am currently an acting deputy manager at my work so I guess in some sense that I have a few management skills as I am in charge of about 6 people. like I said no real comparison to an Officer.
But it is a great place to start. Remember that some Officer candidates have not had the benefit of taking charge of staff members. So, run with this and learn as much as you can. Use this to your advantage.

I am not commissioned yet either (so, I'm not taking the moral high ground), however; when I was a police officer - it was not uncommon for me to be in charge of up to 20 other members of staff - often working under very highly stressful situations. I won't bore you with the 'war stories,' however; suffice to say this experience has benefitted me well with my officer training - for, in many instances, the roles of both jobs are very similar indeed.

You are obviously a very intelligent young man and the RAF would benefit greatly from employing someone such as yourself. I wish I had half the academic ability that you possess!

I encourage you to make the effort to visit a number of RAF Stations and possibly the RAF Officers' Training School, in order to gain an appreciation of the World in which you wish to join. If you do this, ensure you obtain a 'reference' from your host, verifying that you attended and detailing what activities you performed, or what you were shown during the visit. These visits will obviously enhance your application and will impress the Officer Interview Board as to your motivation and dedication.

If you need to gain access to a RAF establishment, I am confident one of the members on this site maybe able to assist with the organisational aspects/contacts or alternatively, contact your nearest recruiting centre.

I wish you all the very best with your future.