PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Baggage Allowance Cuts
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2006, 17:34
sixmilehighclub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats also cr*p about this policy, is that say I am travelling and want to split my 23kg allowance from one large bag into two smaller bags (for convience, or for any other reason, because I am the traveller, I've paid for the ticket and I can pack how I want), I am now no longer allowed to do this.

Why? Surely if I turn up with 23kg of checked luggage, and my allowance is 23kg, thats all that should matter. Not how many bags I've chosen to put said luggage into.
Why?

It's unlikely everyone would, but if every passenger on a Jumbo split their allowance into 2 bags, it would take twice as long to load the bags! Twice as long to offload them and twice as long for a bag to be found if a passenger fails to make the flight they've checked in for. BA are trying to improve punctuality, because this is one of the most important factors discovered in results from customer feedback.

BA have been fairly laid back until now. Many passengers have taken advantage. This has been recognised and it has spoilt it for everyone.

Previous to this new policy, review any of the flights during boarding. You would regularly see the Cabin Crew fighting with overhead lockers, lifting overweight bags about the cabin themselves just to get all the bags in to approved places so that the flight can leave on time (Gents, would you expect a female on a train to help you with a heavy bag and risk injury?).

I have sat and witnessed people turning up on a plane with a large wheelie bag, a laptop bag, a cabin bag and a jacket, as well as duty free shopping and whatever else they've collected from various other airport shops. Well above the allowance. Then expect the crew to help or put their heavy bags into the wardrobe, which it is not stressed for to be safe. (And Leclairage, its not the cardholders who are the guilty party as they have already paid extra for the privelege, but on European routes tend to be on businees for a day or two, whereas the majority in Economy are leisure and carry more in the cabin as they are going fopr longer).

I know that for one night away, I can fit all of my belongings and clothes into a bag twice the size of my laptop. For 5 days everything fits into a small trolley bag. If i'm away for longer I have my laptop bag for the cabin, and a suitcase for the hold but I don't go overweight.

Passengers know the rules and have relied on BA's discretion and goodwill for so long. Now they are changing it no-ones happy!!