PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disarming doors before ditching
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2006, 20:05
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwick
Question - how many successful ditchings have cause all passenger to actually be able to exit the aircraft in the manner describe. Be realistic folks, the flight deck have to have a flat calm mill pond to land without loosing engines and clipping wings to get the a/c hull to land in one piece and deploy the shoots! One has ones doubts about that, read the official report.

The reason for the suggestion it would be successful was shallow water but realistically
you are not going to be over those conditions in a normal situation.

Your training is there to make you feel comfortable in the situation and not alot more!
Definitely agree. that's why nobody would like to be in that situation and why ditching in whatever aircraft you are is really just the last resort when the other option would just be to kiss your rear goodbye!!!!!!!

I don' know (and don't want to try it either) whether it would work out this way, but boeing have created these guidelines for the possible attitude of the a/c in "a pond" so I believe that if the situation was much worse almost definitely the rear doors would be impossible to operate anyway.

I said it, the 737 is a funny aircraft, but very unlikely flies at a distance from the continent that would make you consider not being able to reach an airport during an emergency. Unless it's something clearly catastrophic and then it would be a good time to do some serious praying

FBW