PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2006, 16:01
Ghostflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fact is that UK civilians don't really give a toss about the guys in uniform until their own interests are involved. I spent a few years in the states and they respect their servicemen and veterans in equal measure. It is regarded as a high honour to serve their country, in the UK most see it as just another job.

When you leave the mil in the UK you give your watch back, if you had one, and are then cut adrift. The yanks look after their vets until they die because they realise they owe a debt to those that have survived being in the service of their country. We take the piss out of the yanks about a lot of things but at least they recognise and respect those that were prepared to give the ultimate sacrifice.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't join the RAF out of a desire to serve the Queen, I just wanted to fly sharp pointy jets. I got my wish and because of the will of the Government (and the people) ended up in 2 wars. Now I see that I have less rights than a bunch of Afghan hijackers and Al Qaeda sympathisers.

A few weeks ago, someone asked the definiton of the term 'bluntie' Well, a bluntie is someone that believes that a serviceman or woman in unifrom would upset the civilians when they return from doing their duty. They should either get a case of perspective or failing that put the guy that wrote the order on the firing range and see if he or she can dodge Kalashnikov bullets!

Back in my box!