PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2006, 16:23
FFP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by movadinkampa747
The British public do give our troops recognition. Its the Governmanet who dont give a stuff

I agree on the Govt bit, but don't necessarily agree on the public. Maybe the US is seen as OTT by some, but I've had random members of the public come up to me in a hotel lobby whilst in uniform saying " Just wanted to thank you for your service and let you know we are thinking of you"

I would say that's happened half a dozen or so times, which given the number of times I've been to the States over the last few years is a high hit rate of public affection.

Care to take a guess of the times that happens in the UK ? Square root of springs to mind.

Maybe someone else will post with positive experiences in this country.

Many will say "But we don't do that in the UK. It simply isn't British"

Fine. So how do we support our troops then ? If we don't speak to them and thank them in public, and we don't as a nation give them a financial "thank you" at retailers, if we don't give those serving abroad more minutes to call home than THOSE IN PRISON get, and we don't let our boys walk through UK airports in uniform then what do we do ?

The military is something that is forgotten about till needed, forgotten about when the job is done and forgotten about when things don't quite go as planned. And that's fine. We do the job we get paid for and we get on with it.
And we get embarressed when we see how other nations look after their boys.