PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bah, Help please
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2006, 10:16
scruggs
Considerably Bemused Wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell me about it. It’s a disheartening journey at times. I've wanted to be a pilot ever since I can remember (my parents say I was saying it at about 7 or 8).

I planned to leave sixth form with A-Levels, and apply to BA. Which I did, got through to the final stage, then 9/11 happened and the letter came through saying the scheme had been withdrawn. What a bummer!

So, I went to Uni hoping the industry would pick itself up, and apply after my degree. And to its credit, the industry has certainly come along way since the dark post-9/11 days. However, upon graduation, an opportunity came my way to do an aerospace PhD and a grabbed it with both hands. I'm now 25, and will get my PhD at 27. I'll be taking my PPL, Class 1 and fATPL ground exams at the BGS whilst doing the PhD, then go full time CPL/IR after its finished.

If someone would have said to me at 17 you want start commercial training for another 10 years, I'd have been gutted! But looking back, I'm happy with the route I've followed.

Sometimes when you read about these 19/20 year-old guys already flying (full credit to them), it can make you feel a bit down - a feeling of "I've missed the boat". But, as you say, no one likes a quitter and you've got to stick at it in this industry - and I'll never give up!