PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIS Consultation Meeting 8 Aug
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2006, 10:09
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to basics.

The remit of the AIS in so far as NOTAMs are concerned should be to publish this information freely to pilots in an effective way.

If that is not their remit I would be interested to know what it is?

As with most public and private organisations, it would do no harm for the AIS to set out on their web site their mission statement or charter so we know exactly what it is they set out to do.

The fact of the matter would seem to be their largest user in terms of numbers (GA) and the users that most requires the information being presented in clear and user friendly terms (because they have not got the support of a team at company dispatch) have been complaining for years that the presentation of the data is confusing at best and all but useless at worst for any flight that doesn’t follow a predetermined route.

Take a look at the FAA presentation of this material:

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/.../tile_2_5.html

Simple, clear, straightforward.

So how is it that the FAA comply with their international obligations and yet are able to give the user a graphical interface?

I thought one of the reasons for the inclusion of “Q” codes was to enable precisely this sort of presentation. Does this mean that so far as the UK FIRs are concerned Q codes have not been correctly implemented or perhaps there are some other technical reasons why the FAA can provide a graphical interface but we cant? Again, I believe the users (us) would be interested to know.

.. .. .. As I said back to basics, establish what the remit should be, and meet it, because otherwise I suspect the AIS has simply failed in its obligations to its users and will continue to fail.