PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - Direct Entry Pilots
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2006, 09:14
milehighdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As regards time to command? How long is a piece of string?
This has varied dramatically over the years, ranging from approx 5-6yrs right upto approx 17yrs. Whilst there was a period of heavy recruitment several years ago, including a mix of cadets and DEP's - there has been none since 2001. The company needs pilots yesterday, and the recalled cadets are just the start. The planned expansion of long-haul and the continued growth of routes on europe will obviously require more pilots.
All the A330's will have proper rest area's (existing ones to be retro-fiited). This in itself implies heavy crews to new long haul destinations. Heavy means more pilots. Therefore time to command will reduce.
But at the end of the day, who actually cares about time to command? As an FO, I actually earn more than captains elsewhere, including those with a harp on the tail! I have better working conditions and a pension. Unlike, the likes a Ryan, Easy etc - Aer Lingus is a career airline (if there is such a thing nowadays?) I have plenty of friends elsewhere, some who even opted to join these airlines, and have since moved on.
To some, command is the be all! Once the novelty of flying a shiny jet 900hrs per year wears off, the most important thing in life becomes lifestyle, followed by perhaps money of course. You'd be surprised at how many senior FO's on the A330 have turned down command on the A320. The increase in pay from a senior FO to a junior Captain isn't that great, whilst the difference in lifestyle is huge.
Bottom line is if your after the left-seat and four stripes within a couple of years, head elsewhere. That said though time to command within Aer Lingus will reduce significently over the next few years.