PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 2
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 2
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2006, 08:51
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've made quite a few posts in the past relating to NYC flights, but what I certainly don't want to do is add any weight to the DTV - EWR rumour. Basically from what I can see it is totally unfounded, without any substance and is simply the result of circumstance !! WHERE has GSM even hinted that DTV is a runner ? One can make a story out of anything if one tries, particularly when everyone is desperate for news !
Lets just look at this sensibly, NYC is a fine tourist destination for a few months of the year, but when the weather turns it's not such a nice place & thus a significant number of transit pax to other US cities LAS, LAX or where ever are required to support such a service, both as added revenue for extra route miles & obviously to keep up the load factors. Now how can GSM possibly obtain this revenue, not to mention the hassle factor on those pax who do need to transit, probably realising too late that there is no point doing it on the cheap to EWR, when they realise that the additional connection cost, makes the whole deal more expensive than a through ticket via LHR, AMS or wherever !
Now on the issue of DTV itself, not a lot of infrastructure in place, not many hotels, transport not brilliant, but perhaps more significant, no significant route structure in place to attract any inbound passengers transitting on in Europe.
I would not be surprised that if the original rumour eminated from DTV / MME itself, trying desperately to put one over on it's more illustrious neighbour. If they can 'move' the geographic location of Durham (ie it is actually nearer NCL than MME) then perhaps there is a thought been sown that anything is possible.Lets face it any publicity is good publicity for them