PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIS Consultation Meeting 8 Aug
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2006, 07:23
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep em rolling chaps.

A couple of interjections here.

1. The raw data is not produced by AIS, they are responsible for publishing it, not producing it. The data standard is laid down by ICAO and is not designed for graphical plotting. There are clear legal dangers in offering a service using data that was not designed for the purpose.

Under ICAO it is the State within whose airspace the flight originates which is responsible for providing the briefing service and it is therefore important that all States adhere to a common standard of presentation, otherwise professional pilots would find the briefing presentation different everywhere they went, which could be dangerously confusing.

Any graphical presentation would therefore be an addition to the existing format. Do you have any suggestions for funding it? Under government funding policy CAA has to recover its costs from users. You may not agree with that but it is a fact and AIS, which is part of NATS, have no influence. It might also be thought undesirable for NATS/AIS to offer value added chargeable services over and above those services that it provides as a contractor on behalf of the CAA which are required to meet the UK's international treaty obligations. This might be seen as unfair competition by commercial briefing services because of their priveliged position. Incidentally I do know that NATS have been evaluating the possibility of value added services as a revenue generator.

If you can give me some workable proposals for the above it will greatly help the case.

2. Niknak
I'm concerned about your problem and will send you a PM with my contact details so you can give me more detail.

The ICAO NOTAM system is predicated on the assumption that State NOTAM offices decide which of their NOTAM series are distributed internationally and also which NOTAM series they subscribe to from other (foreign) State NOTAM offices in order to provide a briefing service that is applicable to flights originating within their airspace. Taking NOTAM from a foreign state carries the risk of missing data.

Mike