PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Union - what do they do for the Industry
Old 7th Jul 2006, 07:05
Lawrie Cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF I am not asserting any compliant from my end other than there are a few disgruntled who peddle the myth about the TWU as being a saviour to pilots when the opposite is true. As an example
Just ask any of the Skywest Avaition pilots who had their rights removed despite a judgement in their favour (Federal Court) when coastwatch contract was lost. The then Skywest Airline group thumbed their noses and jumped into bed with TWU and the Company to protect themselves from those who had a right under the Award. Sure we recieved bypass but lost jobs accordingly. There are more examples around.
In respect to safety nets the facts are these in the Federal system the parent awards were the safety nets. In NT and VIC we have common rule in place based upon those Awards. In the other states they have a general Award which was legislated by their respective Governments and has no relation to any classification/job. The pilots have always been Federally registered 1947-1959 and 1986-ongoing. The in between period related to a different period and we also came under the Flight Crew Officers Industrial Tribunal in the period 1980-1986. The new laws are designed to remove all the State tribunals and Awards under corporations power in the constitution which if successful make it all irrevelant in any case.
Your last point is an interesting one as a former member you would well know that we send a copy of the financial report to every member as required by law and we post it up on our web site. The Finance committee is made up of elected pilots in the principal officers role as well as three trustees all of who I am sure would be happy to answer a member's question or concern. I do not believe you can be more transparent than that.
Lawrie Cox
Manager-Industrial Relations
Australian Federation of Air Pilots