PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baron 55 or Seneca 2
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2006, 18:34
corkscrew

Would rather go for the Seneca III for charter work, its got a bit more horsepower (an extra 25hp a side) and can carry a bit more weight (makes a difference on charter) The instrument panel layout is also much better. A seneca III is not all that much more expensive than a II, the extra cash is well worth it in my view.

Seneca's are also a bit roomier inside compared to a baron.
The III will take off at gross weight within 400m at a lowveld bush strip, so no problems with short take off and landings.
The oleo's are not the best and they tend to go flat all the time if you in and out of dirt strips, they need to be well maintained if you dont want that problem.
Its a great all rounder aeroplane, does everything pretty well.
If you lose a donkey loaded up after take off you most probably gonna go down, that seems to unfortunatly be the standard with light twins.

The Seneca III can only take, more or less, a pilot + 3 pax with luggage if you fill up the tanks (III's came out standard with long range tanks, i think its around 125us gal), so I would immagine the II will be even more restricted in that respect. Not good if you wanna do charter work.

Good luck with your purchase, you gonna need it!