PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodyear Arizona OAT on the cheap?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2006, 18:15
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level headed? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I have been in the position of training young people for the professional flying business, and you would be surprised how many simply do not understand that washing every day is a pre-requisite of being in close company with others. Combine with that the requirement to develop a professional attitude about every part of the student's persona, and it becomes obvious that advice is required before the problems develop. Even so, some will assume that the rules and standards don't apply to them, and will require reminding - and, if necessary, being sent to get themselves into a condition in which they are acceptable to be near.

Learning to be a professional is not restricted to the mechanics of flying an aeroplane and spewing out technical information. It is about personal standards of every kind. It is not sufficient to hope that the less savoury amongst your peers will somehow magically develop cleanliness, tidiness, and personal responsibility before they set foot in an airline interview. They need to be shown what standards are required, and thereafter to be guided in how to maintain and hopefully exceed them.

Believe me, I know. I was one of those recidivists as a 21 year old! If it hadn't been for some fairly strong 'guidance', I would not be a professional pilot now.

Scroggs