PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU Tax on Jet A1
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2006, 13:48
angelorange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most folk agree that something needs to be done to reduce mankind's impact on the planet's resources. It is much harder to agree on what that impact actually is and what measures to put in place to preserve our generally wonderful planet. I mean compared to Mars the earth is still a fab place to be! Maybe in another 200-400 years it will be the other way around. I hear you can run rockets on old tyres and laughing gas!

I am all for more efficient air travel, lower emissions and better deals for travelers. I don't accept that air travel is only for the rich - without it much of the emergency relief work in africa wouldn't happen. This new tax won't dent too many pockets in the Biz Jet world whose clients can manage the extra £40 now and then. It will however reduce the viability of air travel for those on lower incomes who want to see relatives abroad or watch a sporting event.

In my view people need incentives and postive ones tend to work better than the whip. The industry has been at the forefront of technology and it should continue to make strides towards lower emissions for 2040 and beyond. If the tax on Jet A1 goes through then the govt/EU should encourage development of better fuels that attract either zero or lower tax - something along the lines of aviation specific versions of biofuels like ethanol or sunfuel/elephant grass diesel. Perhaps we will see a comeback of the propfan MD80 or even larger bypass turbines.

ATC and GNSS should be able to offer more direct routings. MLS curved approaches could offer fuel and noise savings. If Red Ken were in charge of Eurocontrol there would probably be congestion charging at major airports by now!

As to commuting with a doubtless fun 400bhp car - at £1 a litre I'll stick to my imported aluminium machine - 4 POB at 98 mph on the autobahn she still does an average of 68 mpg! And now due to low emissions ( 86g/km CO2 ) she's road tax free in the UK!

see: http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/audi_a2_tdi.php

Cheers