PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU Tax on Jet A1
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2006, 13:32
Joe le Taxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect, where in my post did I imply that aviation should be taxed disproportionately compared with other transportation?
- quite simply, where you advocate an increase in taxation for aviation. The are many examples of industries that are taxed less per kg/CO2 or SO2 emitted, (I have argued the case against shipping and cars, but all industries should be entered into the emissions equation). However, you advocate increasing this disparity, which leads to distortions and counter-productivities. We do at least seem to be agreed that a Jet A1 tax is particularly bad because emissions could well be increased due to tankering. Carbon trading has merits and BA advocates its use, but the mechanics of its application have got serious flaws at the moment.

I would accept that it would be preferable to spread our use of fossil fuels over 400 yrs rather than 200, but without some utopian 'world government', it simply isn't going to happen, because those who don't sign up to limitations will always gain the advantage and burn the fuel available on the market just the same. Therefore, why must the EU 'self-flagelate' itself for no gain, while the East (and the US) makes hay.

Last edited by Joe le Taxi; 6th Jul 2006 at 13:45.