PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A big warning to wannabes
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2006, 10:27
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW is bang on. I qualified 3 years ago and the situation had changed quite a bit from when I started training (9/11 and all that). No jobs for low hour frozen ATPLs. Too bad. Over 350 applications to operators/airlines all over, folders full of "thanks, but no thanks" answers.

What to do in the meantime? Well, back to Cabin Crew again (networking from the inside, and it pays the bills), getting to do some light a/c ferry flights through a good mate (keeps the hours up free of charge), then getting a dispatcher job at a major airport - and more networking.

The result? Three (sometimes frustrating) years down the road, I have some very good contacts, one interview done (with the sim ride soon), another one in a few weeks and I expect at least another later in the summer!

Bottom line: there are jobs out there, but:

1/ you have to do your own networking; writing CVs just doesn't work anymore, you have to be more proactive, go for them and sometimes accept some poorly-paid airport job in order to put your foot through the door

2/ most low-hour FO jobs are NOT advertised; the airlines get enough unsollicited applications anyway, so better be recommended (more networking)

3/ Get an airside job. Best thing I ever did. I know more about the operation and routines of some of the outfits I dispatch than some of the newbies FOs I come accross. In the end, if you work diligently, the powers that be (Chief Pilots, FODs, training captains, etc.) will notice and be happy to help out.

4/ Did I mention networking?

Some people get knocked down by the whole thing. If anything, 3 years of trying, and renewing the IR, medical etc. at my expense have made me even keener to find that first flying job. Chin up! The jobs are there - but you have to make them come your way.

Cheers