PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2006, 09:18
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigs2
The more people that wear uniform in public places, the less chance of any type of attack.
Tigs I quite agree with you but the problem here stems from the very top. Several years ago when I was working in the "Ivory Towers" on Whitehall I asked my boss why I couldn't wear uniform in the 'centre', afterall I had been lucky enough to travel to the MODs of the US, France, Spain and Italy as part of my job and in all places I wore uniform and nobody batted an eyelid. The reply was that it would make the MOD too much of a terrorist target. This made me mad so I pulled out my A to Z and pointed out that the MOD was marked as "Ministry of Defence" on the Whitehall page!! So a self respecting terrorist of any background won't just look us up in the A to Z and me wearing uniform makes the building a bigger target?????

At one set of leaving drinks I asked a VVSO whether he would be encouraging a change and a move towards wearing of uniform in his next post. His reply was "No - the Civil Serpents wouldn't like it". So C*S bows to pressure from civil serpents because they like us to be anonymous ad we all have to be pink and fluffy about being "inclusive" and not elitist!! When and if the MOD goes to the wearing of uniform in London we might just start reminding the politicians that we do existand that we should be supported properly. My answer - wear your uniform with pride, smartly and correctly at all opportunities. Remind them, politicians, civil servants and the general public, that we do exist (but for god sake don't let linies downtown in their coveralls) !!