PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Union - what do they do for the Industry
Old 6th Jul 2006, 05:33
Lawrie Cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay I will bite if only to put some facts in to play. And yes I am fully aware that it is a rumour site which the majority of the tripe above is.
I also note that I get a mention when the fact is I have not been involved in the case we believe is being referred to.
If it is that particular case then it is still ongoing and the member involved is upset because the decision taken by the employer to offer a confidential package on separation does not address their specific agenda.
Fact if a member is unhappy with the level of representation they can take it to the finance committee which is made up entirely by elected pilots. Their decision will take into account the views of the member and the advice on likely outcomes and the staff of the organisation will be directed accordingly. With great respect to all I am sure that you as a member would like us to spend your money wisely.
I have said it previously and I will again emphasise that not every case can be won and I understand that the individual has an emotional investment in the outcome. However, the organisation has rules and is run by elected pilots (pilots who actually invest time looking after the fellow members not sniping anonymously) who are answerable to the membership each year. I trust the ‘expert’ commentators have nominated as the elections are on now. But then again you have to be a member to be involved.
The other question that gets raised regularly is TWU we have never said to my knowledge to any member go join another union but what we will not do is get into a contest situation where two unions pay lawyers and waste members money trying to outdo each other. I am proud of our record looking after pilots not just in agreements but in incident/accident and cover for losing your professional qualification. If you want to be a truckie or a bus driver then the TWU is definitely for you and no one can stop you. Please do not try and come back later and ask for help when it goes the wrong way as it has in Horizon, Flightwest, RFDS, etc…
As always I am prepared to put my name to these posts and not shy away from answering ill informed comments. I trust the critics will start owning up to their real agenda.
In respect to the last post I do not think so.
Lawrie Cox
Manager – Industrial Relations
Australian Federation of Air Pilots