PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A big warning to wannabes
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2006, 22:59
ATC83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lads and Lasses...Dont know what that piperindian character is on about...seems to be a sense of bitterness perhaps from being turned down so often??
there have never been so many opportunities about as there are now. Seriously, for all you wannabe's, there is no better time to work for the career you want.

1) If you want it bad enough, you will get it. Without question.
2) Recruitment has never been as high as it is right now...there is such a major shortage of pilots! (Some airlines are lowering their direct entry pilot requirements because they are so short of crew)
3) With regard to a whether there is a certain type of person that airlines are after.....I trained with guys from all kinds of different backgrounds and experiences on a sponsored scheme, all of which have gone to airlines and are coping fine. Everyone has a chance.

Regarding not getting the type rating that PiperIndian mentioned....these days so many airlines love type rated pilots. Getting a 320 family rating or 737 rating opens up so many horizons... With the low-cost airlines so desperate there couldn't be a better type rating to get if you have to pay for it yourself. It saves them cash, gives you a better chance of getting in and also shows the recruitment team that extra bit of dedication on your behalf. Think of it like this.....
I know so many people that have spent a fortune on doing a degree and wasted thousands (Mainly on beer in student bars !)...but have ended up doing jobs that they hate....at least if you invest those thousands into the career you want to do, it gives you a far greater chance of getting where you want to be. (and when you're earning a very good wage in a job that you want, you can then spend the thousands on beer that you didn't at Uni!)

P.s. And PiperIndian, I think a little more inspiration for the guys out there that desperately want to fly would be quite helpful to them, dont you think?!!