PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colerne Airfield
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2006, 19:49
fe35bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buried Aircraft at Colerne

I have been reading the postings on this forum site with interest and glad to see it is still active.
I have lived in the village since 1958 when my father moved here and bought a shop in the high street called "THE STORES" which was opposite the paper shop and post office, maybe some of you will remember it?
Although I have lived here nearly 50 years I am still an outsider to those that were born here and still remember the post war era were all the rumors of buried aircraft started.
You can still get the statement from some of the Yokels! sorry locals if you mention "Spitfires" and the "Camp" in one sentence you will get the rumor of the Spitfires buried on there, raped in brown greased paper in packing crates that were never assembled, but just buried in a hole in the ground.

2 years ago I started out to confirm or disprove this rumor and I am now near to publishing my findings but am still eager to here of more first hand information to that era before I finish

I thought I had lost a lot of my research when my computer crashed and had to be replaced but I have just recently retrieved it and will now start to bring all the threads together and will keep you all informed of the outcome

As I read some of the posting it is apparent that many of you have served at RAF Colerne and if there is any way I can be of help to you in answering questions feel free to ask, there is a new history book on the village that has a good account of the camps history from the war years right through to its present day(over a hundred pages), these are available from the local shops and the history group cost is £6-75 plus postage and if you are interested in a copy I would be pleased to help

As a final note, I can remember going down to Black Cross wood as a kid and retrieving small parts from that plane that crashed there
and here is the sites to see the camp as it is now
http://uk.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi...=1&scale=50000

http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums...29&whichpage=2

scroll down this site for the pictures

regards
bob