PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £3/4 million blunder
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2006, 09:17
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
A & C

“The question I have is do the RAF have any "crew room" input when buying new kit?”

The short answer is “Yes” and there is a recognised process for doing so. Generally, this involves formal visits to air stations by System Design Authorities, under the management of the Project Manager or, more importantly for in-service kit, the Technical Agency. (The named MoD individual responsible for airworthiness/type approval). I always found the user tended to want separate aircrew and maintainer meetings. As ever, there is a “but”. Funding was cut for this activity in 1992 (it’s the same funding that ensures the safety of a design is maintained) and so does not occur on a regular, formal basis anymore – more on an opportunity basis. I should add that I’m more used to the FAA than RAF in this respect. Having said that, I also found that at the “lower” level in a squadron they simply did not want “****ing civvies” visiting them, and they often made life difficult. (I, and a colleague, have been physically ejected from a NAS when trying to gain some background on a safety hazard that needed fixing. Hope you liked the solution guys! Boscombe did). However, more experienced officers – CO, AEO, SOBS etc recognised the benefit and were always helpful.

I’ve also managed army projects. At unit level they are ALWAYS grateful for such input and go out of their way to help. I’ve seen guys pulled out of theatre to attend a design meeting in the UK. Great attitude and they have no hang-ups about rank. If you want to talk comms, you get the L/Cpl signaller and his word goes.

Bottom line. If the PM doesn’t knock on doors seeking user input, he’s a moron.