PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2006, 23:20
DownIn3Green
Person Of Interest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right on Rockhound...

I've lucky more times than I can count in my measly 54 hours shy of 10,000...

A perfect example would be the time when I as an "experienced" Captain (over 4,000 hrs command on type at the time) departed a Southern US airport in a max gross 727 on a hot day...all three engines over-temped on take-off, but not until after V1/Vr...

What goes through the mind then? Fuel leak and fire on all 3?...bleed leaks on all three?...or something else?...You have just seconds to decide....try to stop and run off the end, or go up and lose everything?...

I decided in those few seconds that it was an "indication error" and continued, because I didn't want to believe it...(and we were past V1)

As it turned out I fried those JT-8D's because all [B]THREE[B]of us upfront didn't notice we commenced takeoff with the engine heat on on a 95 degree day...

If it doesn't look right, it probally isn't right...I should have aborted (even after V1) but on this occasion I got lucky....

However, not wanting to misplace the responsibility here, the slimy F/O immediately went to the CP to report the incident when we got back to domicile, not knowing I had all ready done so 2 days earlier...

Lessons learned...all the way around...