PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2006, 14:13
Tigs2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Bound
I agree. If there is one thing in common that EVERY serviceman has, the one thing that binds them together in doing a job that takes you away from home, isn't particularly well paid considering you are put in harms way, demands total loyalty and comittment from you 24/7, and demands that under the most difficult, adverse conditions you perform your job selflessley to the absolute best of your ability it is PRIDE - PROFESSIONAL PRIDE. Its the thing that gives a young soldier the courage to die trying to save his mates or downed crew (even more recently trying to save the bodies of downed crew). In the UK like it or not it is knowing we took the Queens Shilling, I am sure the US armed forces have a similar concept.

When we all graduated from our training schools, we all stood on parade in uniform and felt as proud as you ever have done in your life (do you all remember that feeling? it was the best). I now feel just as proud of the young guys who are going into harms way far earlier in their career than i ever did in a cold war scenario. Is it two much to ask that as a nation, we recognise the achievments and sacrifice of these people.

Remember the sacrifice is often great, not only death and injury, but for many, more routinely, the fact that so much time away from home invariabley leads to relationship and family problems. I, like many of my peer group, sweated blood and tears for my uniform, and it cost me my family. The pressure on Spouses of , girlfriends and boyfriends of, is immense. To be told that i must sneak in and out of airports, full of the people we are trying to save is outrageous. If you are a member of 22 Reg or the SBS, then fair enough, but the majority of us should be able to fly our flag for the rest of those who cannot. Still, in a country where we consider it antagonistic to fly our own national flags, what hope do we have. Try telling a US marine to take down the flag he flys in his front garden and he will likely kill you with his bare hands.

To CDS and CAS etc. We accept that the government will force cuts upon you, but please do not let them take away what we are about, our pride, our loyalty our sense of belonging. Dont let them make us feel like second class citizens for protecting our country, because i know that all of our people may not be angels (Wars are not one by angels), but they are all first class citizens. You gentlemen of all people can tell the Defense Secretary to shove it, when he/they suggest we must go around in civilian attire.