PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2006, 13:20
Tigs2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that the reason we have to carry civilian clothing is because our Strat AT flies (sometimes) via the civilian airports in the Middle East, before going back to Blighty - and you could remain in compound (in uniform), or go into town (in civilian attire) - given those options I think bringing some civvies is worth it, as a Crab Air Stalag 18 compound is no fun on return from SANDGHANSITAN!
Deskpushinshiney

If you think you are more at risk going through UK airports in Uniform, to travelling around 'down town' in certain Middle Eastern countrys in Civvies then think again. Frankly, having survived a tour on Ops in Iraq or Afghanistan, i would much rather stay in the compound whilst waiting the next flight, and ensure i got home safely to my family.

We are misinterpreting the threat, and allowing the terrorist to do what they want i.e surpress our lifestyle. Airports are soft targets you say - or are they??. They haven't attacked one yet. An airport is actually a 'harder target than a military base in many respects, look how many armed coppers are on duty at any one time! Far more than at any military base. If a terrorist were going to attack an airport, they will attack one, regardsless of whos walking through in whatever attire. But they tend not to because they are full of armed police. Furthermore, if i were waiting to attack, the site of 20-100 military uniformed guys coming through the airport would scare me s*****ss. Not all terrorists are suicide bombers. Just like the IRA they plan with precision and if they dont have a reliable escape plan they are unlikely to do the job, because they want to live.

It's no wonder the government can axe the armed forces, with sweeping redundencies and cutbacks with little or no response from Joe Public, because Joe Public doesn't know we exist apart from Two minutes a day on the news. Try cutting 10, 000 jobs from Ford or Honda and see how much that hits the papers. The government don't want anything that will raise our profile/popularity with the public, because it would make life to difficult for them when they try to axe us.

Get the uniforms on!