PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines recruiting low houred guys (250-400 hrs) ish!
Old 4th Jul 2006, 11:34
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Tactics, strategy, research and effort.

I gather you folks know that the CAA imposes a limit on the number of low houred guys an airline can have at any one time? This is to keep the experience level right. Also does keep the insurance premiums managable.
You might be thinking, so what?

Tactics and strategy. Airline "X" has employed low houred guys in the past eg 2 years ago but is now only hiring experienced guys. My punt is that this airline will soon hire low houred folks. Reason, inexp/exp ratio is ok for the UK CAA.

Airline "Y" has been hiring a lot of low houred guys. Do you think that this will continue or will it stop soon? My bet it will stop soon and while it's fine to throw in a CV, just don't expect a miracle.

Which airline is expanding? Read Flight International and look for ads for engineers and sim instructors. They're the ones expanding.

Air Charter, taxi and aerial work? These sort of operations tend to happen in the smaller airports. Biggin Hill, Bristol (both of them) Gloucester, Luton, Cambridge, Lon City, Coventry and so on. You'll have to get in your car and visit these places. Be ultra polite and get yourself known. If you're handy to the airport and are flexible you can pick up RHS work etc. It's up to you to chase down these jobs. They certainly will not advertise.

If you want to work in GA or get a start in GA you'll need to do some work on the airfield washing aircraft or whatever. Work in ops, hangars etc. to get yourself known. Get an instructor's certificate and work on the field that does have an active GA scene.

What is vital is to keep your IR scan up to speed. Use a flight sim (desk top computer such as Elite). Be nice. Be seen. Be bloody keen.