PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 20:54
johno617tonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
until about four years ago i used to work at a major north west airport and still keep in contact with one or two of my work mates....

one of them told me that they regularly got/get medi vac flights in from those nice places in the world that our boys and girls are fighting in, and they are almost sworn to secrecy when they are arriving/who is on board etc etc.....

it was the same when i was there! a trooping flight would be parked up at some remote side of the airport and it seemed to me that the coaches bringing/picking them up would almost sneak in like some unwanted disease and off they went to where they were heading!! BUT........................

when someone famous turned up, same corner of airfield, but almost a fanfare as they arrived.... i know for certain that a certain group of charitable soccer players arrived a few weeks back, they were caught on the ramp smoking!!!!!! but i have it on good authority that no one 'important' said anything as they didn't want to upset them....

it sort of brings it back to a post earlier..... the press, and maybe even the public(although there is one or two on here that i will distance from that comment) would rather hear about some pop star/footballer/celebrity's everyday life than someone else who has risked or for that matter lost theirs!!

the society we live in is all wrong, we pamper to the WRONG people, i have noticed in the last 48 hrs the complete lack of moronic idiots walking around draped in the george cross! where have they all gone?? i thought that they were english/british and proud of it!! i would be interested to see how 'patriotic' they really are and issue them with a challenge.... change places with the next poor soul tasked with yet another tour in some god forsaken place, and wear that flag with pride.............................. WHAT NO TAKERS??? TOO SCARED OF LOSING YOUR EASY, BENEFIT FUNDED LIFESTYLE EH?? THOUGH SO!!!

oh well the tabloids must really be in a bind to find space for the next installment of WAGS or which pop star is smoking what, because some soldier has got himself killed, somewhere or other.... but we need the space in the paper!!!

tigs, i hope that all them e-mails have some sort of effect with alton towers etc.... the yanks do put us to shame in some respects......

also i remember talking to a 'hostie' once at the airport that was about to go pick up some squaddies from somewhere.. i asked her if she had a problem with it, ie what flights were best club 18-30 drunken idiots, or sqn/regt x??
her answer was fairly simple.... " i TRY not to bend down too much, as it seems like 200 sex starved sets of eyes are staring at me constantly, but as long as they get a beer or two i would take them over said drunken idiots anyday!!!!"

ok rant over.... or is it????

tigs i see you have a loved one away at the mo? hope she is ok and keeping well! tell her i (and i think that i can talk for others on here) think what she is doing is very commendable, brave and i am in awe at her and her friends!!
tell her that no matter how hard things get, there is ALWAYS people back in britain who would support them no matter what!!!!

regards to all

J6T