PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £3/4 million blunder
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 20:29
ethereal entity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
£3/4 million blunder

It has come to my attention that the procurement chaps, in league with some Ops bods, have once again managed to throw money down the toilet in a fairly spectacular fashion.

Middle Wallop and Shawbury are two of the busiest bases in the UK (several hundred movements a day, every day). They need to refuel their helicopters between sorties, which means a LOT of refuels every day - as a result, their bowsers have become knackered, have pumped their last, and have just been replaced.

GREAT!!! 3 new bowsers have just arrived at Shawbury, resplendent in their shiny livery. Imagine the surprise of OC Ops when the wraps came off the new toys only to reveal that they can ONLY pressure refuel - this means that they are unable to refuel any of the helicopters at SY. Not to worry, Shawbury still have the old ones - unfortunately these are no longer legally allowed to drive on public roads, so refuelling at the RLG's (as is the norm) is now a problem.

Middle Wallop have the same pressure nightmare...but they have got rid of their old bowsers. Oh dear.

Is it just me, or is yet another of the myriad examples of imbeciles who believe they know what is going on (because of their rank), failing to get guidance from the people who actually KNOW what is going on (jnr off's/SNCO's etc...). I am aware that this decision may well have been made by a civil servant who is just doing his job (if I did mine that badly, people would die), but somebody should be brought to book for this fiasco, which must SURELY be classed as gross incompetence, by any definition.

Discuss?