PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British KLM pilots to ballot for stike action
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 18:54
Bergj69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VNV point of view

As a member of the VNV members council I would like to protest to the negative picture drawn of VNV people by some of the PPRUNE users. There is no benefit for VNV to keep the British pilots out. In fact, it is in the interest of the Dutch pilots to keep the Brits on board because of the production that is flown by them. The market for fresh new pilots is not that favourable anymore and pressure from the company on us Dutch pilots to fly beyond the age of 56 is building up.
The mentioned deal between KLC and Balpa talks of better terms for the English (who wish to remain with KLC-Uk). I think VNV wants comparable terms for the Dutch. Meaning: at present there is the maximum component of the salary formula Company Years and Age of 1700 points. When you are happy with the function part of the salary formula, you start to loose money once you have hit the maximum of 1700 points (to give you an idea: I'm presently 37 years old, 8 years with the company and hitting that maximum next year allready). Thus an incentive to move on to mainline is created. But what if you would rather not do that (for the same reasons some of the English choose not to go to mainline)?. Do we want the situation where an English colleague can stay on the Fokker Jet and still see a yearly rise in salary whereas the Dutch colleague needs to divert to mainline to see a yearly rise?

So my guess is that VNV want's the cap on L&P (Age and Company years) adjusted upwards or even lifted... Sure, on the short term that might cost some extra money. On the long term though, I think that the people the cost that bit more money will probably generate that loss again by having a side job as instructor and saving the company instructor training (for instance...).

But, eventhough I am member of the VNV members council, I have no details neither on the exact deal between KLC and Balpa, nor on the demands that VNV have made in return. But the Dutch side will not be content with no compensation at all, some form of compensation must be agreed upon.