PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 18:38
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does this look REASONABLE
some 30 years later, I can still remember (roughly) what EPR corresponded with heavy&short or light&long. Mostly did it by experience (of course, an error and an over-run did not kill me at Cranebank "Airport"!)
One should not lose sight of the fact that the berm did not cause the accident.
of course not, but if it hadn't been there (cost factor - "the cost of safety is only high until you see the cost of the lack of it"), the accident could maybe not have had the disastrous consequences that it did (and future accidents could be far more survivable!!)
a couple of seconds early crew reaction or a lower berm would have made such a difference
"Fortunately" that is usually the case - one malfunction (mechanical, crew, support, company) doesn't often cause and accident - if it did I wouldn't get on an aircraft! Sadly, sometimes all these things get together to bite you. All the industry can do is to try to eliminate as many as possible of the factors so that the "chain" does not get built up.

To that unlucky crew - "God be with you - rest in peace, hopefully your lives wil have been lost to save others - if we learn"