PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 18:22
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
Sadly, I would suggest this attitude is a sorry legacy from, and "hollow victory" for the efforts of the "darling boys" At one time, personnel in uniform were a common sight. Then, as we all know, wearing uniforms off base ( more or less ) became a no-no due to the security threat. Fair enough. However, in the interim, before the order was rescinded, a couple of generations grew up without a clue as to whom / what the Armed Forces do or look like---other than on the TV news of course. And lets be honest here, unless you live in the vicinity of an RAF base, Garrison town or Naval establishment, a significant proportion of the UK population never see Service personnel---no more air shows, open days, few recruiting tours-if any. Consequently, the role and status of the Armed Forces has now been diminished ( aided and abetted by a collection of that you wouldn't really be able to distinguish from the bio-regradeable version produced by dogs --other than by the aroma of hypocritical political angst of course ) to the extent that, whilst the security issue is a valid reason, it is now much more a reflection on our "society" that they would prefer the status of a footballer to be prominent in their minds than the Armed Forces.
Just how long does it actually take to deplane and transit "xx" amount of troops through a civvy airport---with a bit of planning and co-operation from all involved I wonder ? . As for the lack of discount for Service personnel, well again, it reflects the fact that many simply have no idea as to what and whom they are dealing with.

And of course, said operators are more than happy to "entertain" p££ed up chavs and yobbos on their way to Ibeeza or Ibeefa (depending upon the standard of literacy achieved during their one day or so per week at school as to how it's pronounced of course) yet are twitchy about the short term presence of UK Armed Forces. Not much in the way of ££'s to be made out of them after all !!----

I suppose it would be too much to hope that somebody within the PR Depts of the various Services actually recognises an opportunity to positively promote their purpose and those who serve in such?.

Sorry about the rant----just a get a shade p££sed off when I read about this sort of attitude.