PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 17:19
Tigs2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was having a beer in RAF Garrison Carterton the other night. Two young squaddies came in to the pub in uniform.They had missed their flight because of traffic (they were in MT) and had to wait until the following day, so quite rightly before going off to the Sandpit for the Third or Fourth time, they decided to go out for a beer. They did not have any Civvies available to them.

When they came to the bar to order a beer, they were asked to leave because uniform is not allowed in the bar?? I could not help but intervene and explained a few facts of life to the barman who said this was a ruling from Brize for security. Security for what? 80% of the people in the two pubs in Carterton are military, ex-military or Civvies working for the military. I pointed out that with the money the pubs take from servicemen and women that in the unusual event a squaddie is stranded with no civvies, about to go off and run the gauntlet yet again that the landlord should give a free pint to all of those departing who come in for a pre-deployment refreshment. They would have none of it, they backed down on the uniform issue and i bought the lads their beer all night.

I have experienced the amazing warmth and hospitality afforded to US servicemen by their country, for the British Armed forces it is just a Joke.

Mmmm now what was that poem i once saw on PPRuNE about nobody wanting soldiers until its time to fight, and then when they do, please do it in the background because nobody really wants to know as long as everyone is safe in their beds?? I know somebody on here will have it or a link to it.

I am going to forward the link to the advert above to David Cameron (Our MP)
and see what he says. Why didnt we have an advert like that during all commercial breaks for the world cup??

This is a link to more from the people that did the commercial above. Just click on any state. Do Alton Towers do this?? http://www.herosalute.com/