PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 16:58
johno617tonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did any one ever see the set up our american friends had at incirlik?? awesome!! morale tents ( thought they were something that you wouldn't tell the wife about at first!) free calls home, the usual food court type of stuff, and beer so cheap they were almost giving it away! strange that the said americans frequented our bar most nights!!!

i think the way our troops get treated here is disgraceful! the politics of what's going on does not matter in my eyes as the boys and girls don't have a choice in the matter and are paying dearly!!! i had a house party a while ago here and one of the neighbours wives was rattling on..." this is wrong, that is wrong, they shouldn't be there etc etc...." she was asked politely to leave!

i've been out of the mob now for nearly a decade and look back on how the world has changed, and how I was LUCKY to visit some great places around the world on detachment, but now the places don't seem at all fun, and surely never a party that my trips were!!!

i was at red flag one year and a few of us decided to visit LA on our long weekend, fantastic trip.... we even got 'twofers' on the flights!!!! dirt cheap accomodation in LA and taxi drivers that were simply in awe of the BRITISH MILITARY.... forces discount in all the eateries we visited etc etc .... my point being if you ever...and believe me i tried once or twice to see the reaction.. asked for forces discount in this country, you were looked at like some sort of criminal!!

i myself would applaud forces arriving back in blighty like it were second nature, even it i was in a packed terminal and no-one else bothered!!
these boys and girls are some of the most sincere, bravest, professional people in the world, they deserve that respect....

sorry to go on but my wife always makes a point that nothing will stop me from paying my respects on rememberance sunday! and tells everyone....
my worry is that the little kids are going to grow up and just not realise what people are sacrificing on a daily basis.....

will leave it at that, but am happy to discuss anything.....

J6T