PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is more important?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 14:06
Mercenary Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basically, what you're saying is that you consider having a sound understanding of the subject material unnecessary, because most of the answers can be found in the Bristol Database... All very well for getting your 14 passes, but I imagine that actually understanding the subject will stand you in better stead in the future..

As for the original question, most airlines only stipulate that you must have GCSE's, however I would suggest that at least A levels would be prudent. Some people decide to get a degree prior to training, some don't. One thing I would say is having a good sound academic background to fall back on may be advantageous in the event of loosing a medical, lack of employment etc.
Asuweb...That’s one of the most sensible things I've read on here in a while!

Sadly it is possible now to pass the ATPL exams on feedback alone but you will look like a fool if you can’t explain something simple like...what a compass swing is or what happens to NDB's at night etc.

Besides...I think the majority of us are actually interested in most of the subject matter anyway?

My £0.02... Academic qualifications will definitely help your CV but flying skills are more important. However, Airlines aren’t going to know how good your skills are or how you got on in training until they call you for an interview, which won’t happen unless they liked your CV in the first place.

If you have the opportunity to do A levels and a Degree then you probably should but not being educated is hardly the end of the world. One point to mention, all the sponsorship schemes I've ever seen do require cadets to have 5 "C" grade or higher GCSE and 2 A levels.

Last edited by Mercenary Pilot; 3rd Jul 2006 at 14:23.