PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Varsity
Thread: The Varsity
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 10:53
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
In the early 1970s, in "Detachment Days" at Aldergrove, the Station was still home to 23 MU, who despite the "troubles", fettled Canberras and Phantoms for the RAF. The Canberra MTP, one Bernie Standen also flew the MU's "hack"/air taxi, Varsity WJ 898, known as "Wilhelmina."

Whenever a second pilot was needed, Bernie would come to 72's crewroom to see if anyone fancied a day out of the Province. And so it came to pass that Flying Officer Teeters found himself in the right hand seat of Wilhelmina en route from Aldergrove to Leuchars to pick up the crew who had just delivered a Phantom.

A little way into the flight, the following conversation ensues:

Bernie: You have control Teeters, I'm bursting for a slash, I'm nipping back to the Elsan.
Fg Off Teeters: Bernie, we're in the middle of Glasgow's zone, and I'm a helicopter pilot.
Bernie: Just hold her steady, I won't be long - and don't answer any calls from ATC while I'm away - that way they'll keep other aircraft out of our way!

And the return flight finished with an "ILS" flown on the Decca roller map, much to the confusion of ATC at EGAA, 'cos they thought the iLS was off-line for maintenance! And you try and tell that to young folk today......