PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 10:53
DESPERADO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uniform at UK airports

Having recently arrived back at BZN from somwhere sunny in company with a lot of tired but stoic troops from the various sandy wars, we were told by the unusually helpful mover over the PA that personnel were not to wear uniform at UK airports as the operators had 'agreed a policy' and we would be removed from the premises (presumably forcibly if necessary).
I must admit, I found myself a little outraged that guys who are coming back from theatre (especially many of the Army guys who have put up with a lot and are hero's in my mind) should be treated in this way if they need to travel through a UK airport. Before I start writing to my MP is there anyone out there, movers, Mil Pol, anyone else who knows the background to this 'policy'? Has it come down from the govt? Or is this just a company policy - if so is it legal and discriminatory?
If there is a good reason then fair enough - neck wound in - but I can't think what that could be other than some kind of PC embarassment (which is not a good reason). In my humble opinion the UK public, and foreigners arriving from overseas should see more uniform in public not less. If we can't be proud of our troops and our uniforms then who is going to be?