PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training - Taildragger Vs Tri gear
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 09:17
robin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that Chuck's point ( and it is well made), is that there are few instructors at commercial clubs that have tailwheel experience and are therefore able to speak authoratively on the subject

Nosewheels tend to flatter your flying, esp in landings, so bad and sloppy habits don't have too many consequences.

Tailwheels call for a little more thought. You are much more aware of crosswinds and the effects of control inputs. For some instructors, this is only a theoretical aspect of flying, as they probably never come across the situation of a low-speed ground loop in C172s, or the prop strike when the tail is lifted during a downwind taxy.

Flying a nosewheel aircraft after a period of tailwheel flying, I now find my hold-offs are not quite as held-off as before, I am less bothered by crosswinds and no longer need to ask for landing on a more into-wind runway.

It's not that one is better than another. In the air, they are much the same, but on and near the ground is where the difference appears