PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Many Mates Have You Seen Chopped??
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2006, 02:03
ProfessionalStudent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have extensive experience of the rotary training system from both sides and I would say that the chop rate on our side of things is pretty low. Generally, it's actually pretty hard to get someone chopped these days, and if the evidence is not all there, it'll just get chucked out at the review stage.

Students (or trainees in the new, caring sharing PC RAF) really are given every chance to pass the course, even if it doesn't feel like it from the studes point of view. With the shrinking resources and pot of hours available, the training burden is pushed further and further towards the front line, but even now it is a rarity to see someone chopped post AFT, let alone post OCU.

The reality is that there has to be a minimum standard and if one doesn't reach it, then there is only one outcome that is fair for both the RAF, the individual and anybody in their ac (or the school in the Harrier and Typhoo's case).

Weeman, I know you're bitter and the Personnel Mismanagement Agency have shafted you, but you had a better crack of the whip than some. It says a lot for you that you got as far as you did. In my experience likeable people tend to get cut a little more slack than the other boring grey men. I would rather an average pilot on the sqn who was good in the bar and on Det, than a Stick Jedi who was an absolute tosspot. I know it shouldn't matter, but as long as flying training is carried out by humans and not robots, there will always be a degree of latitude like this.

All the "try harder" guff is exactly that. No student tries anything less than 100%. And if they do, they deserve to be chopped anyway.

For the record, the hit rate at Shawditz tends to be about 2 per course on SERW and 1 per course on MEARW (2 out of 16, then 1 out of 10-12)...