PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPRUNE Spam
Thread: PPRUNE Spam
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 23:20
aspinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Maybe an attack on pprune site

Since resetting my cookies recently, I have had a huge increase in spam. I use my standard address on pprune, but that is about to change.
I have had couple of 'detailed' discussions with the staff of my ISP. Some of the spam comes to my regular address however, a goodly number come addressed to the same ISP but with a different name, usually starting with the same initial. I.e., If my address was [email protected] I would also receive mail addressed to [email protected].
I never did get a happy answer; as it appears that by using proxy servers etc. spammers can do all sorts of weird things with addresses.
The latest gimmick that I have had a bunch of is; to send the text as an image. I use the tools wizard in Outlook to redirect a lot of mail to the deleted box by putting in an offending phrase or something in the title such as "re:[" . However this won't work with an image as there is no text for the tool to read. P1sses me off.
The short answer is that it it may be pprune related or more likely that the spammers algorithm is just grinding out addresses.