PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N-reg? good or not??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 22:15
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone refresh my memory if an FAA CFII can do BFR's and IPC's on G reg aircraft? I think they can but obviously not for hire or reward?

I think this one has done the rounds, but I don't recall the conclusions.

I recall that to act as an instructor in UK airspace and be paid for the flying you need to have a JAA instructor rating.

And to act as an instructor in a G-reg you need a JAA instructor rating even if you are doing it for free (if the student is to be able to log it as an instructional flight).

So I think for a BFR or IPC in a G-reg you need a dual rated (FAA+JAA) instructor *.

You can do it in an N-reg with just an FAA CFI/CFII provided he doesn't charge for it. The DfT permission for training doesn't help here; getting that means you can pay the instructor, but he cannot legally receive the money unless he has a JAA instructor rating. The only way is a) he doesn't charge for the flight or b) the instructional part of the flight takes place outside the UK FIR (which, I recall, could be in IOM airspace).

I hope I am not regurgitating some incorrect info here, so references to the contrary would be very useful!

* That one I am least sure about. Under FAA rules, in an N-reg, you can have a BFR, IPC or even a full PPL or IR checkride and you can remain (and log) PIC throughout. The RHS person is just an observer (if done in VMC which usually it is). I don't think this is the case in a G-reg, where I think the instructor is automatically PIC (and the student is thus PU/T). The need to do all this legally in UK airspace led to the practice of FAA checkrides in G-reg planes whereby the FAA examiner sat in the back seat while a JAA-rated instructor sat in the RHS - this was stopped some years ago, allegedly following an accident which drew attention to it.