PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules comes to heart transplant rescue
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 17:00
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rev I. Tin
Who gives a t*ss how much it cost, who took it or why?
Daysleeper, I am sure if you were lying in hospital waiting a new part you wouldn't complain who brought it to you!
Not long ago, two yachties in a race got into trouble two-thirds of the way down from Australia to Antarctica. The call went out and the ADF swung into action. Constant rotations of Orions (three in the air at times) to check on the victims whilst a frigate was tasked to work-up and head south.

Got both boys back safely. Then some raised questions about cost. Defence minister's quick response: this is what we do, this is what we've paid for, you couldn't ask for better inter-operability training than this - you an exercise all you like, but when it's someone's life in the balance, it tends to focus the mind.

They still talk about it as a job extremely well done. The message - get into trouble in our patch and we will try our best to get you out of it.

I also seem to recall some distant memory of a transplant organ or material being sourced in Paris, flown to LHR where a QF 744 had already been pushed back, the organ put aboard and expedited clearances given right through to Sydney.

What it does show is that the human race can work together now & then. A bit of hope.