PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft needed in Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 16:32
microlight AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinion of a humble taxpayer

I was aware of the deployment of 16 Airmobile long before it went 'public domain' and was immediately concerned when I heard the public story about reconstruction support. I was told by 'the troops' that they were being sent in to get the Taliban ! Ah yes, the fog of war! I recall wondering what the air support situation would be, then I remembered being told by 'anon' from Wattisham that the Apache was to be deployed 'next year' , that was at a BBQ last year. But the Apache fleet has its problems which I wont mention here as I'm unsure as to how much might be in the public domain.

So here we are and the ill-conceived mess is unravelling before our eyes. I think that our political masters have got too gung-ho and our forces 'can do' approach to every challenge may have finally found its limit. The top brass seem to be out of touch with reality and you chaps at the sharp end have my sympathy.

Perhaps we could make a start by selling the tranche 3 Euro-wot-nots at a bargain price and maybe invest in some affordable kit which could be effective in these 'frontier wars' ( I believe we called it the North West Frontier and patrolled it with the venerable Westland Wapiti).

So, here's what's needed...

Hercules: Proper protection 'nuf said on that.
Jaguar: Keep them as long as they work properly and they have a use.
Helicopters. Why don't we buy some basic support helicopters off the shelf
like the AB212 or similar? They seem to work well enough in
Brunei, Belize and Cyprus.
In theatre transport: Oh how we must miss the Andover. Modern equivelant?

(While we're at it, perhaps some decent wheeled armoured patrol vehicles for the squaddies and a radio system that works.)

Last but not least. My proposal for our 'Future Fighter'.... Single seat Hawks with radar etc would seem to be a robust aircraft which could be maintained easily in such exotic locations. Who knows, others might notice and decide to buy a few like they bought Hunters once before. Methinks the brass hats will be mortified at the thought, but if the opposition has no air assets who needs anything more exotic?

So there you have it. Please note the subtitle of this submission before flaming me The bottom line is that I am angry to see that our people are being called on to undertake tasks without adequate equipment or numbers despite the rantings of HMG ministers saying that our slimmer armed forces would be better quipped as a result of the reductions in numbers. Perhaps Nigel sould find the ministers words on Hansard and hold El Presidente Bliar responsible for the debacle that has ensued.

Message ends.

Edit two corerect spellnig

AFTERTHOUGHT: The mind boggles at what the real aim of this mission is, any friendships gained with the natives should be considered transient at best... Those fellahs will change sides at the drop of a hat.
Perhaps we should take a strategic view? and (bearing in mind who's really in charge) take a look at a map. Look at the other country we are occupying with Uncle Sam then look at Afghanistan. Behold; look which country is between them!

Last edited by microlight AV8R; 2nd Jul 2006 at 17:17.