PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Last African Flying Boat
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 15:39
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I'll have a guess at the "hot, high and heavy" take off from Lake Naivasha Chuck? Approx 5000' ASL. Abandoned until the cool of the next morning with just two on board."

Yes that was a very good example of incorrect airplane handling in an attempt to force it to fly. It clearly demonstrates that with incorrect pitch attitudes the Cat will poropise every time, he aborted before he wrecked the thing but it is unlikely he understood what was really going on.

The Cat is unforgiving of incorrect pitch attitude during take off and landing and that has been the reason for many fatal accidents. I have a collection of pictures showing correct and incorrect pitch attitudes on the water that I use as reference material for teaching water handling during training.

Anyhow I am now into my second month of retirement and am finding it strange having the summer off.

I have turned my training business over to the Dutch crew and am truly pleased with their grasp of how to properly fly a Cat on the water, on the land it is just another airplane, on the water it can quickly kill you if you do not understand how to fly it.

By the way, has the Cat at Lee on Solent been sold yet?

Chuck E.