PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Many Mates Have You Seen Chopped??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 11:53
WeeMan18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Maybe someone who's been through flying training in the past 20 years might like to comment on the above situation
OK. Speaking as a fairly recent choppee, who got the chop at RW CR check stage, having flown Ops in Iraq as an LCR mate, and then was offered ground branch or leave (no multi crossover) by the 'admin centre of excellence' outside Gloucester. I'm not going to state in clear who I am but it should be pretty obvious to those in the same circles - so Hello!

I would normally watch this sort of thread from the sidelines, but two of your commments, Pontious, really grated.

Firstly,
another one bites the dust
Show a bit of sensitivity for the chaps who have their lives destroyed by being chopped, whilst you happily crack on with your own flying career.

Secondly,
What we have found is that it may be bad at the time when you are chopped but later the pressure comes off and the stude is actually much happier.
A phrase I have heard said many times in my RAF career and one, that from the beginning, I have considered to be utter horsesh1t. I can now say from experience that such a notion is a fanciful idea that does a great disservice to the choppee. I can only assume that those who make this flippant assertion do so to appease any misgivings of their own in the face of the absolute misery inflicted on the choppee. Some old and bold instructors may go on about student apathy and motivation but spare a thought for those who give their all and then some more, and eventually find that their lifelong dream, the single thing thay have worked harder towards than anything else, is snatched out of their grasp. I have only ever met one chopped pilot who thinks that being chopped was in any way a positive experience - and that was because he thought that if he continued flying FJs he'd end up in a smoking crater one day. Approximately 18 months after the event, I do not pass through a single day without feeling extremely sad and angry about the whole saga and the deplorable treatment by PMA in the aftermath. If you choose to continue to express that opinion, Pontious, remember that you say it to make yourself feel better, not the stude.

You may think I'm bitter and twisted about this issue. You're right, and you would be too.