PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground incident involving BA 747 @ FAJS
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 09:52
Gulf News

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operating B773 with ground movement camera one gets to see close up some of the scariest behavior from ramp personnel. In many instances tyhe people concerned are unaware that they can be seen. One practise I find quite alarming at certain stations whilst taxing onto the stand, is the tow bar conveniently situated on the centerline just outside the stop mark in readiness for connection and a group of groundies all gathered around it.
Whilst I will always do my best to stop the aircraft at the correct point there may however be a time where for one reason or another I get it wrong and run over the tow bar which will come apart big time and probably take a few bystanders with it.

Discussions with the people concerned reveal that their view is that it is normal procedure and poses no risk. I have raised this issue with our safety department who have raised it with engineering who have raised it with the GHA = still happens regularly.

Like a previous poster I think that the ground staff think I am a granny but whilst I stand to loose my licence the people who follow practices like the one mentioned above stand to loose a lot more.