PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with MSA please.......
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 08:25
High Wing Drifter

If you enter cloud then you must climb to a safe altitude
Agree!

However, I too am a tad confused over the question. For the ATPLs the question use the Jepp VFR chart for which the printed MEF (or the equivelent) will be pre-calculated to add 1000'/2000' to the highest obstacle depending of terrain height, that is obviously not what you are using here, but this doesn't seem to be a JAA PPL style question either - what exam is this for? The way the MEF is shown in the question suggests a CAA chart (no idea about US sectionals). I shall assume UK.

If you are in cloud, inadvertently, regardless of your lack of ratings you are IFR. If so then the MSA is the higher of 1000' above the highest obstacle or 1300' above the highest ground within 5nm of your track (1300' because of the 300' allowance for uncharted obstacles). Which in this case should be 3800' not 3500'. I too would judge the Class A to be the lesser of the two (we)evils and the rules of the air specifically provides a clause which permits the breaking of any rule should maintining it expose the flight to an unacceptable level of risk.