PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the landing flare really all that complicated?
Old 2nd Jul 2006, 07:32
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone care to share their experience with going from a large 4 engine aircraft back to a lighty?? I know on my first attempt back in a Mooney I flared at about 3 times the correct height and then said those lovely words of "Going around".
Yeah...every 6 weeks or so I end up back in BNE on an overnight and climb into my Bonanza to refresh my soul and remind myself, after 6 weeks of 767, that I am still a pilot rather than a FMC programmer/voice activated gear retraction system.

I have always maintained an attachment to little aeroplanes since leaving GA for airline flying nearly 12 years ago but even so my first landing is always following a flare that was a little too high. After a long absense from my Bonanza I get a terrible feeling that I have forgotten the gear as the 'swallowed by the runway' feeling creeps up around my ears.

About half way through last Xmas' big holiday trip I started rolling the Bo on in a MOST satisfying manner...then my first landing back in the 767 was a little firm

Still it's all good for the soul...and keeps the ego in check too