PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Observer
Thread: Police Observer
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2006, 09:55
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to be shy. I am aware that the following Units have "civvy" observers: Suffolk, Hampshire (Plank), plus any like Sussex that have a combined police/HEMS role - One of the observers is then a paramedic. Incidentally, what a sensible use of the taxpayer's expensive assets they are, but I digress.
The previous responses were right about how things are. There is a general political move to review any roles carried out by police officers that don't involve arresting people, wearing a uniform in public. It gets labelled all sorts of things but often BEST VALUE. It is borne on a number of arguably false assumptions that police officers are expensive and "civvys" are cheap.
A number of existing Units will probably recruit civvy observers over the next few years. However, because being a police observer is regarded as a good job, various vested interests will try and keep it in house. Expect PCs to hang on to most of the jobs, followed by current civvy staff working for police forces - I even heard that PCSOs were being considered

I often smile about the artficial divisions between them and us. Do remember we were all civvys once, and we will all become civvys again, unless we die in harness.