PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Height & Weight Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2006, 04:31
seektofly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I agree

Here in Australia, we have delightful little rules which deal with workplace discrimination. Overseas - (like the Arab countries and even the Asian countries) they won't look at you unless you have a killer figure. I know someone who works for Emirates, and she told me that if they think you have put on weight they can ground you and they will give you a couple of weeks to lose the weight. The airlines would never be allowed to get away with that here in Australia.

In Australia we also have Occupational Health and Safety Regulations. You can't be too tall otherwise you will bump your head on overhead screens etc.. or bulkheads etc.. and you can't be too short because you won't be able to reach up and close the overhead lockers or reach the stowage in the galley. As far as weight is concerned, as long as you can move swiftly through the cabin without becoming stuck in order to attend to emergencies or evacuate you should be fine. I have worked for a couple of airlines here in Australia, and they have never weighed me at the medical, unlike the airlines overseas where you must have height and weight in proportion (the healthy weight range, etc..) and they also request full length photographs.
I don't recall ever being asked to include (with my application as a flight attendant) FULL LENGTH photographs, here in Australia.

I have never applied to overseas airlines for this reason... as I know I am slightly over the height weight proportion thing (ok 10 kilos or so)... but I have been employed here in Australia as a flight attendant and am secretly glad that they are bound by those workplace discrimination rules.
America is the same. They have discrimination rules too, but to apply to an American company, you need to be an American resident or citizen.

Virgin Blue lost a court case last year (where 8 ex-Ansett flighties took them to court over age discrimination) Virgin lost this court case - as it appears that they have only ever hired 1 person over the age of 35.
I am not over that age, however, in the past I have looked at the flight attendants that worked for Virgin Blue, and thought they were all gorgeous, and skinny and just picture perfect. I never applied to Virgin Blue, as I felt that I couldn't apply because I didn't fit that picture. I applied to them a few months ago, and I am now up to the Medical stage. I am really happy about this, and also glad to think that Virgin is going to give me a go at being a flight attendant for them regardless of my not so model like looks. I haven't had my medical yet, but it is coming up in the next week. I will let you all know how I go.

Good on ya Virgin Blue. You are really keeping the air FAIR.

Seek to fly