PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAYDAY over the Bay of Biscay
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2006, 23:49
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fortuna 76
shame on you for your post and obvious misrepresentation of my words!

YOU state: CRM is your bible! You must not have read it very well.

CRM only works when the captain sets the tone in the cockpit to allow it to work. I've stated this before, see previous posts.

You mention me "getting the captain fired". Shame on you again!

When the captain in question comes on board and says he only has 2 months to retire and "doesn't give a damn" about doing a good job, and ORDERS his copilot to shut up when his copilot trys to make sure that communications are being made correctly with ATC, YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO FAULT ME?

The chief pilot had other complaints besides mine and did not fire the captain, but allowed him to retire early. HE , the captain, could have fought it, the chief pilot could have laughed at what I said and fired me, but he KNEW I was telling the truth.

NO MR> Fortuna, maybe you just haven't seen enough of flying to know where the dust has been swept under the carpet.

Also, I have never said anything about being ACE OF THE BASE. BUT if ace of the base is a pilot who comes to work with current charts, a good night's sleep, a "picture" of the weather and other conditions pertinent to his flight, then call me ACE.

AND if you don't fly somewhere often, have only 2 comm sets, then you must be more careful about all of your communications and quit making excuses.

And fortuna, I've never flown a single seat fighter.

IF you are captain and CRM is your bible, hooray! Set the tone and make sure all of your crew, fa's included, understand...but don't just talk the talk, walk the walk. When one of your f/a crew says, "I hear a funny noise back here" just before takeoff, are you going to go back to the gate and get it checked? Or will you laugh it off and launch with a bad door seal? When your copilot asks "what are you reading" and it is the newspaper instead of an approach chart:THINK OF ME.

Reasons to lose comm:

Electrical Failure
Radio Failure
Speaker Failure
Headset Failure
(by either the aircraft or the ATC facility)
Radio Interferrence , Precip static
Loss of line of sight (vhf)
Failure of audio selector panel and associated amplifier
Stuck Mic
Antenna or lead failure
and of course human failure

You might have seen another post of mine called: Reality Check.
People do fall asleep in the cockpit, even both pilots!

People do forget to properly arrange their audio panel
Stuck Mics do happen.

AND it is my intent to remind all of my brother pilots that we as pilots must be vigilant for the above. And to watch out for ATC errors.

And in the spirit of good CRM, I await your views.

jon