PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTO styles - too militaristic and conformist?
Old 30th Jun 2006, 21:31
Dave Martin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captwannabe,
I have no dress standard and the people I work with have no dress standard - yet they constitute some of the UK's top experts in their field. Uniforms are not part of life, they are part of culture. In the corporate culture dress standard is there to demand unformity. That is, to aid in the selection of employees who show their willingness to conform, to adhere to company ethos (creed or colours), to accept your place in a hierarchy or to say "yes" to their superior's wishes.

As I understand, CRM emphasises the need to speak up, regardless of your position in the pecking order. Bearing that in mind, who would you prefer for a second opinion? The pristine cut suit conformist, emulating the captain's mannerisms, afraid to think outside of the box? Or the slightly eccentric but considered candidate with an alternative solution to your own?

In my mind neither should have the edge. Judging the candidate by their ability to tie a half windsor, polish their shoes to a pristine shine, or cross their t's on a document might very well eliminate the best pilot - some of the best in every profession weren't the naturals. In fact, the whole stigma of dress standard sounds disturbingly similar to the justifications used for keeping women out of the flight deck.

Last edited by Dave Martin; 30th Jun 2006 at 21:41.